Get a comparison & start saving now!
Running a business is a complex procedure, and along with many tasks, reviewing your energy bills might not be a top priority. Surprisingly, only 44% of your energy bill covers the energy you consume, leaving 56% hidden or unknown. Our mission is to understand this complexity and help you make sense of your business energy bills.
While business energy bills may seem attractive, they contain vital information that can significantly impact your financial well-being. Our aim is to simplify the process of understanding your energy bills and highlight the key elements you should focus on before considering a switch to a new business energy supplier.
This is a fixed fee for staying connected to the energy supply, regardless of your usage. It's essentially the cost of remaining plugged into the grid.
This represents the cost of the energy you use and can vary based on factors like your energy consumption.
Knowing when your current energy contract expires is crucial if you're thinking about changing providers or renegotiating your agreement.
This is a tax imposed on business energy usage to promote energy efficiency and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The CCL appears as an extra charge on your energy bills, with the rate varying based on the type of energy used. Some businesses using mainly renewable energy may be exempt from this tax. Moreover, if your daily electricity consumption is below 33 kWh or your daily gas usage is below 145 kWh, you may also qualify for an exemption. Additionally, businesses with a residential component (e.g., B&B, care home, campsite) may not need to pay the CCL.
Business energy is usually subject to a standard VAT rate of 20%. However, some businesses may be eligible for a reduced 5% VAT rate if they meet specific criteria, such as low energy consumption or having a residential aspect within the business.
Businesses may incur charges related to the installation and maintenance of smart meters for energy. These costs are typically included in the total energy bill from the supplier. Smart meters provide real-time data on energy usage, helping businesses manage consumption more efficiently.
Energy prices can fluctuate significantly due to market dynamics. These fluctuations directly impact your energy costs, with prices changing every half-hour. To shield most businesses from constant price changes, the prices they pay for energy are set higher than wholesale prices. However, it's essential to understand that when these elevated prices are reached, all prices rise, affecting both businesses and the energy market.
The cost of moving energy from its source to your location varies depending on your proximity to the energy source. If your business is far from the energy source, the cost of delivering energy to you increases. You're essentially paying for both the energy transmission and the maintenance of the infrastructure responsible for this transfer. These costs are rolled into your energy bill.
As energy travels long distances, some of it is lost. The farther energy has to travel, the more significant the loss. Consequently, individuals residing far from the energy generation source end up paying more for this lost energy. In essence, you're covering the cost of energy that was generated but never reached its intended destination.
The energy system involves a complex network of pipelines, wires, organisations, and regulations. All of these components require financial support to maintain smooth operations. It's not just about maintaining the system; it's also about ensuring it can meet our future energy needs. A portion of your energy bill covers these ongoing expenses, ensuring the entire system works efficiently and is ready for the future.
While some government-imposed charges, such as the Climate Change Levy, are clearly shown on energy bills, others are not as easily noticeable. For example, businesses may encounter fees related to initiatives like the Renewables Obligation and Feed-in Tariff. These charges can be debated because they aren't about maintaining the energy infrastructure but are aimed at reducing carbon emissions in the fuel supply to meet global environmental goals.
Understanding your business energy bills can empower you to make informed financial decisions. It's not just about the visible charges but also the hidden elements that impact the overall cost of energy. By comprehending the intricacies of your bills, you can better manage your energy expenses and potentially uncover opportunities for savings.